Black and white, navy and gold, blue and tan… some colour combinations never go out of style. But as much as we love these perennial pairings, sometimes it’s a good idea to shake things up a bit, and try some hues you wouldn’t normally put together.
Colour clashing is something that bloggers and catwalk stylists do really well, but you don’t have to be a fashion expert to give it a go. These catwalk-approved clashes will breathe new life into tired outfits.
Pink & Red
Much has been made of the advent of Millennial pink, a not-quite-baby, not-quite-Barbie shade of the rosy hue, but have you ever thought of teaming it with postbox-red? That’s what we saw on the catwalks at Miu Miu, Prada and Brandon Maxwell, where pink pieces were augmented with hints of scarlet to great effect.
1. Miss Selfridge Pink Funnel Neck Knitted Tunic Jumper, £39
2. Oasis Pink Jacket, £55 (available February)
3. Evans Pink Eyelet Flute Sleeve Shirt, £28
4. Accessorize Beaded Tassel and Ball Statement Earrings, £12
5. Little Mistress Skirt, £48 (available May)
Lavender & Green
Purple and green are found on opposing sides of the colour wheel, which is why they’re perfectly suited for a fash-clash, as seen on the Victoria Beckham, Gucci and Mulberry SS18 catwalks. The key here is to choose a pale lavender or lilac as the basis for your ensemble, adding a flash of emerald or mint green in the form of shoes or accessories.
6. New Look Lilac Balloon Sleeve Jumper, £24.99
7. Dorothy Perkins Embellished Lilac Maxi Dress, £50
8. River Island Green Patent Court Shoes, £36
Salmon & Yellow
Yellow was the biggest colour trend last summer, but this season it takes a backseat as salmon pink comes to the fore, the perfect foil for sunny accessories. Take your cue from the Roksanda catwalk, where floaty fabrics in pale coral were styled with bright-yellow bags. The warmth of ochre also meshes well with salmon.
9. Oliver Bonas Happy Hearts Ribbed Jumper, £49.50
10. Dorothy Perkins Pink Floral Pyjama Style Trousers, £26 (available April)
11. Hush Puff Sleeve Sweat Top, £59
12. Miss Selfridge Petite Ochre Paper Bag Trousers, £35
13. Oliver Bonas Jenni Soft Side Crossbody Bag, £39.50 (available April)