Here’s what to buy if you want to come up roses on February 14, says Sam Wylie-Harris.
You’ve bought the card, booked the table, but what about the present?
How about a romantic gesture that can be sipped, savoured and shared in equal measure?
Here are the hottest spirits, prettiest stemware and bar essentials that are sure to pull at the heart strings…
1. Crystal Head Vodka – Red Miniature, £6.76, 5cl, The Drink Shop
An A-list miniature, Crystal Head Vodka is the brainchild of Ghostbusters star and comedian Dan Aykroyd – and now that they’ve robed the iconic skull bottle in ruby red, we’re lusting after this silky smooth vodka with its sweet, creamy finish more than ever.
2. Drinks By The Dram Valentine’s Gin Set, £19.95, 5 x 30cl samples, Master Of Malt – available from beginning of Feb
A spirited box of treats, open up the sleeve and nestled inside are five of the tastiest, cutest gins: Proper Pink Gin, Pink 47 Gin, English Drinks Company Pink Gin, Edgerton Original Pink Gin and Sharish Blue Magic Gin, for good measure. Each wax sealed dram comes with a tasting note, so you can compare the nose, palate and finish – or simply write sweet nothings.
3. Lanique Rose Liqueur Spirit, £30, 70cl, Ocado
The 200-year-old recipe is a secret, but what we can tell you is this luxurious rose petal flavoured Polish liqueur is utterly delicious and can be mixed with bubbles, topped with tonic water or used in a twist on a classic cocktail, such as a Lanique Rose Negroni.
4. LSA Sorbet Champagne Flute – Set of 2 – Rose, £28, Amara
If you’ve splashed out on a beautiful bottle of rose champagne, it’s only fitting you pour those ballet pink bubbles into an elegant flute to toast each other’s happiness.
5. Valentine’s Day Limited Edition CIROC Red Berry Bottle, £45, 70cl, GET IT INKD
The latest unveiling from French vodka brand CIROC and INKD, their much-loved CIROC Red Berry expression is now available in two limited edition Valentine designs, which can be personalised with a name or special message: Connected Hearts or To Me From Me. Genius.
6. Rose Gold Cocktail Set, £50 (from £60), Not-Another-Bill
Rose gold barware is all the rage and this five-piece set with cocktail shaker, tongs, stirrer, strainer and measure, ticks all the Happy Hour boxes.
7. Edinburgh Gin Valentine’s Gin encased in a bouquet, £65, 70cl, Edinburgh Gin; £39.50, 70cl without bouquet, Harvey Nichols
Edinburgh Gin have teamed up with MUD Urban Flowers to create a blooming beautiful botanical bouquet gift set. The Scottish distiller has married the same botanicals as the gin recipe, to ensure each bouquet opens up with chamomile daisies, hot pink rose petals and aromatic lavender. Bouquet available from January 30, for UK delivery on February 14.
8. RCR Crystal Glassware Tattoo Champagne Goblet Glasses – Set of 6, £17.99, Robert Dyas
As any cocktail lover will know, stemware is a shaker’s stock-in-trade, and these gorgeous goblets carry enough weight to hold a champagne cocktail, cosmopolitan, margarita and anything else you fancy.